Picture of Wimbledon Clinics

Wimbledon Clinics

Concussion In Sport: Is ´Return To Play´ Legislation Necessary?

Contact us for an appointment

*At Wimbledon Clinics we comply with the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act (UK). We will never share your data without your permission and we will only use your data how you’ve asked us to. Please let us know if you’d like to join our mailing list to receive updates about our specialist consultants, the latest treatments for orthopaedic and sports injuries and prevention tips for common injuries.

For more information, click here to view our privacy policy

When athletes suffer concussion, it´s essential for them to be removed from play and given appropriate treatment.

In the United States, legislation has been effective in increasing in the treatment of concussion-related injuries for school-age athletes.

According to the University of Michigan, concerns over concussion injuries and media coverage of them have skyrocketed over the past decade. Between 2009 and 2013, all 50 states and the District of Columbia passed ‘return to play´ laws on concussions in sports for youth and/or high school athletes. These were the first laws in the country enacted to address a specific injury and they generally cover:

• Education on concussion for coaches, parents and athletes

• Immediately removing athletes suspected of having concussion from play

• Only allowing return to play or practice after at least 24 hours and with permission from a healthcare professional

A study conducted by the University of Michigan to evaluate the impact of new concussion laws found that there was a 92% increase in children seeking medical assistance for concussions in states with the legislation in place. There was also a significant increase – 75% – in states that were yet to pass concussion laws.

This confirms that the legislation works, but also shows that widespread awareness of an injury has an equally important effect. “We found large increases in states without legislation, showing that just general knowledge plays a huge part,” commented Steven Broglio, senior author of the study.

Reporting their findings in the American Medical Association journal JAMA Pediatrics, the research team said that increased healthcare utilisation rates among children with concussion were both directly and indirectly related to concussion legislation. They said that part of the increased rates (60%) in states without legislation could be attributed to an ongoing upward trend and the remaining 40% increase in these states is thought to have resulted from greater awareness among the public due to heightened local and national media attention.

The researchers concluded that although concussion legislation appears to have led to more young people seeking treatment for concussion, the overall increase can also be put down to increased awareness of the injury.

http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/22586-new-concussion-laws-result-in-big-jump-in-concussion-treatment

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2084916

http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/policies.html